Monday, October 26, 2015

Spain!!!

I can’t believe we’re already on our fourth port!! This trip is going by way too fast… BUT I still miss my friends and family back home. Anyways, Spain was absolutely amazing. I really need to find a different adjective to describe everything, but that’s all I got right now.
So we ported in Valencia, Spain for the first two days. Day one, my friends Liv, Hanna, Kelsey and I walked through the markets of Valencia and we bought some really great fresh fruit and saw other interesting items that they sold. At one vendor they were just selling piles of snails. One of the locals noticed us taking pictures and he started to laugh and picked up one of the snails and posed for a picture. We definitely stuck out like a sore thumb. After, we went and ate A LOT of tapas (which are absolutely delicious and I already miss them) and we had churros with chocolate dipping sauce. Then we went to Oceanographic which is one of the largest aquariums and science centers. We saw a huge variety of oceanic animals and we even saw a dolphin show that was surprisingly a lot more fun than you'd think. Unfortunately, soon after we got back to the ship I started feeling really horrible and I had to go to the medical clinic to get some medicine and I had to stay in day two of Spain. But it wasn’t a complete waste because I found some wifi and got some work done, so it was a productive day.
That night, the ship left that port, and we sailed to Barcelona. We arrived in the morning and I was starting to feel better so we made a great day out of it. In the morning we HAD to go to Dunkin’ Donuts (for Liv because that’s her thing) and then we walked around Las Ramblas and the markets in Barcelona which was awesome. We bought our postcards and our gifts for friends and family and we had Paella and sangria! When I get back home I’m gonna have my dad figure out how to make paella the way they do in Barcelona (get ready Dean). Then we went to the Segrada Familia which is one of Gaudi’s famous works that is actually still being built. It was started over 150 years ago and they're still working on it! It was honestly one of the most beautiful sites to see. I also got my mom one of the most beautiful crosses I've seen thus far on this trip.  We also bought futbol (soccer) jerseys because that night we went to a Barca game!! It was the largest field program in semester at sea history. So basically over 300 college students flooded three sections of seats in this game and we were absolutely the loudest and most obnoxious people there. Im not gonna pretend like I know a lot about football in Spain because I know it’s a big deal to them, but I think I understood most of it and I actually got really into it and had a lot of fun. (They sold hot dogs but they really weren't that good :/). Liv and I were still feeling a bit under the weather so after the game we headed back to the ship and watched a movie.
The next day I had a field lab in Barcelona for my Popular Musics class. I’m pretty sure that day had to be one of my favorites. We went to this different part of Barcelona that was by Las Ramblas but it had a whole other feel to it. It almost felt like the San Francisco of Spain. We walked through these tiny alleys down streets where cars couldn't fit and saw so many interesting locals. We went to this recording/dance studio that had a front door that was only four feet tall and we listened to three artists play instruments and sing for us. All three artists were so interesting and it was so amazing to be able to talk to them about their lives and how music plays a huge role in their lives. After we went to a record store and talked to other local musicians who showed us this small little club where they have parties every weekend and they just play original music. I recorded almost all the songs they played for us and now I can’t stop listening to it.
Later in the evening, my friends and I went to this fire running festival that was… interesting. I say that with hesitance because it really wasn't what I expected. We were thinking that it would be a huge festival, but it just turned out to be a bunch of semester at sea students. The beginning was slow but then all these people in devil costumes came out with sparklers and fireworks and we had a really great time. I have a video of myself running through it that I will post eventually. After the festival we went to a local bar with a huge group of friends and had a relaxed night.
The next day was our last and I spent half of it with Liv shopping and the last half we had to be on the ship. Overall, Spain was absolutely amazing (despite being sick a little). Europe has been awesome but I’m pumped to finally change continents. Morocco here I come!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment