Monday, December 7, 2015

Trinidad and Tobago!!!

Port 8 of 10. I can’t believe how fast this trip went by. It’s already December! My friends and I are happy that there's only 25 days till Christmas. But at the same time sad because it means only 20 days till our adventure would come to an end.  Still not ready to leave. 

Anyhow, we ported in Trinidad, which is an island about the size of Connecticut located in the Caribbean. As we sailed here we noticed the change of the water from a deep blue to a green blue. We were welcomed off the ship with a steel pan performance (which is their trademark instrument and also my favorite instrument). 

Unfortunately, we only had two days and one night here, when you really need at least a week.  But my friends and I made the most of it. On our first day we decided to go to their most popular beach called Maracas. We hired a taxi driver to drive us around for the day and she took us through some incredibly steep and narrow roads that led to the beach. Our car ride there was absolutely beautiful. The mountains and hills are covered in trees and greenery and each turn of the road gave you a different view of the island. We stopped and ate some mango chow, which is just cut up mango in a bag with a bunch of different spices. We also had sugar-cake which is literally a cake made of only sugar. Both tasted amazing and I wish I could’ve taken some home. 

At the beach we just laid out (of course I got sun burned), listened to some music, and swam in the water. While we were there, it started to rain.  It wasn’t just a light rain, instead it was a downpour. So we decided that it was the perfect time to jump back into the sea. It reminded me of when I was in Maui with my family it rained while we were in the ocean. It was so much fun, and it was such a great memory with my friends and probably the highlight of this trip. 
For lunch we ate “bake and shark” which is a shark sandwich. I never thought I would be able to eat shark, but I did!  I highly recommend that you try it if ever in the Caribbean. It’s a lot better than you’d imagine.  

That night, there was a field program event which included a festival with steel pan music and a chance to meet college students from the University of Trinidad. Allie and I did not have tickets however, so we waited in line for about 45 minutes hoping to be allowed in… and we were! The music was amazing and great to dance to and I was also able to meet a few locals. I met Jacob and Fes and it was so nice to talk to them because it was the first country where there was no language barrier! After the festival, our other Trinidadian friend Samuel, showed us around which included the night-life scene. 

The next day, I went shopping with my friends Allie, Cam, Nico, Matt, and Addison. We just explored the port area and visited some small shops. As we were walking back, it started pouring rain again. But this time, it didn't stop. We took a break for a few minutes, then eventually had to go back to the ship. So of course my hair and clothes were soaked by the time we got back to the ship.  Despite the fact that we only have one port left, we have several fun events still to come, on the ship. To name a few, there’s a talent show, the Panama Canal, Costa Rica, the ball, and sadly... finals :/
That’s all for now, folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment