Monday, December 7, 2015

Sea Olympics

Eight seas. Three Prizes. One day. During our nine-day stretch to Trinidad from Brazil, we participated in a "Sea Olympics". The students were divided into one of the seven seas and within those groups we competed against each other in a variety of different contests (by the way the eighth sea included the staff and independent kids, so that’s the reason for the extra sea). I was in the Adriatic Sea and our color was purple. So we were decked out in all of our purple gear, complete with purple face paint, eyeliner, lipstick, and ribbon. It was sort of a flashback to my days at OCSA when we painted our faces for every spirit day (shout out to my OCSA homies). So anyways, we went pretty full out. 

The day began with a spirit competition to see which sea team could create the best chants. Of course, my sea team won this competition with an intense stomp routine that matched our chants.  Other competitions included a relay race, tug of war, a pull up contest, and many more. I participated in the relay race, but sadly we lost even with me and Liv's killer wheelbarrow team. I competed in the water balloon toss (which we also lost), however in my defense, throwing a water balloon all the way across a ship's deck is a lot harder than it seems. And finally, I played the card game "spoons" against seven other people, each from a different sea...AND YES, I DID WIN!!  Luckily, all those years of playing "Spoons" at family parties, had finally paid off. 

Later that day, my dear friend Allie and I were given the task of choreographing a synchronized swimming routine for our sea team.  It ended up being a crowd favorite. Five guys from our sea team volunteered to participate, so we basically had them swimming around and dancing to “Dancing Queen”, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”, and Selena Gomez’s “When You’re Ready Come and Get It”. I think we ended up getting fourth or fifth place.  Either way, I think we deserved better, because they were definitely the funniest team out there. 

At the end of the day, after the points were computed the winner was announced. The Yellow Sea beat us by 10 points! Although we didn’t win, I was happy getting second place especially since our prize included a movie of our choice and free popcorn. Who doesn't like free popcorn? 

Time to see what the Caribbean has in store for us! 
A-A-ADRIATIC! 


No comments:

Post a Comment