Thursday, November 26, 2015

Senegal!!!

I can’t believe we’re already on our sixth port! And we just passed our halfway mark which I believe was on November 1st. So our first day in Senegal was actually on Halloween. They don't celebrate it so it doesn't matter much, but I wasn't too bummed out about it. And when we come back from Senegal we have a Halloween dance. BUT I will write another post about “the stretch” for the next post (you’ll see what it’s about).
ANYWAYS, Dakar was our last stop in Africa and I’m so happy we were able to go there. A lot of people on the ship didn’t enjoy Senegal at all and I find that extremely insane. People were complaining about the heat, and the amount of Senegalese people trying to sell us things. It was very overwhelming at times, but not once did I get angry at any of the local people. The locals were also extremely nice to us and welcomed us to their country with open arms. Men and women would call me their sister and tell me how they are people of love and peace. Throughout the day the people were very considerate. However, theft is still very common so I never stayed outside after dark for too long.
The first day, my friends Hanna, Alanna, Kathleen, Steph, Shannon and I just explored the markets in the city of Dakar. Because of the heat and humidity, we didn't stay out too long. Also, it was very chaotic in the stores because the people really try to pressure you into buying things. It was most definitely a culture shock but in the best way possible. I bought A LOT of clothing and gifts and I can't wait to come back home and distribute them!
The next day we went to the Bandia Reserve and went on a safari! We got in these safari trucks and our guide’s name was Mommadu. Mommadu however didn't speak much English so he would just point at an animal and say “okay gazelle, okay”. We saw ostriches, warthogs, giraffes, hyenas, gazelles, buffalo, and crocodiles! The trees were also amazing to look at because of how insanely giant they were. I’m so glad I went because now I can say I stood 5 feet away from a giraffe in Africa. After our safari, we went to a resort to grab lunch and then waked over to a handmade craft market. All these ladies would hold my hand and pull me into their shop and say “good price, buy here, good price I promise”. Sometimes they would ask me my name but they couldn't pronounce it very well. So every time they tried to say “Rachel”, it came out sounding like “Rita”. I bought LOTS of stuff there too. I got myself quite a few dresses and I bought some gifts for other people as well, so I won’t mention what they were.
Day three we went to this monument that was bigger than the statue of liberty. I’m not really sure why it was built or what the symbolic meaning was because I couldn't read French, but we got to see a really nice view of the city. After, we headed out on a ferry to Goree Island, which was formerly one of the biggest slave trade islands in Africa. We toured through a slave house and it was extremely powerful. We were able to see the cells they were kept in and learned about how awful and intense the slave’s lives were. I could not take any pictures because it is considered disrespectful, but it was such a powerful sight to see. We walked around the markets on the island and talked to some locals. We even kicked around a ball with some of the children. Then we just sat on the beach which was so relaxing compared to the rest of Senegal. And the water was very warm. I swear it was at least 80 degrees. If the water wasn’t so polluted I would’ve put more than my feet in.
On our last day in Senegal, we went on a Pink Lake field program through SAS. And that was probably my favorite day by far. We first went to the pink lake, which wasn’t really pink, but beautiful nonetheless. Our guide then took us on these dune buggies where we drove through up and down these giant sand dunes. Have you ever been on the Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland? If so, I want you to imagine that, but ten times faster, no seatbelt, and in the hills of Africa. Even the car looks just like the one at Disneyland! We drove through the dunes, then onto this beautiful beach and drove right by the water. It was so much fun, I already miss it. After our near-death dune buggy adventure, we headed back to a small town to have lunch and did some more shopping. Then we hopped back in the bus and drove to a small village where the locals put on a music, dance, and wrestling show for us! A group of men (and boys) were drumming while these ladies in layers and layers of clothing did their traditional dance for us. It was so much fun, and they even pulled us up there to dance with them. These two boys had a small wrestling match and by that time, the whole village surrounded us and was watching and cheering. That entire day was really amazing. I definitely fell in love with the people and the children and their culture. Senegal was such an eye-opening experience and I’m really grateful we went there. Now were back on the ship for quite a while, but then we’ll be in Brazil! Talk to you soon, friends! 









1 comment: